:::: MENU ::::

A movie and book review blog

  • Reading films, watching books,....
  • Mind candy in the dark
  • All the books left to read...

Sep 22, 2010

This is the tin-eared music lover's list of the ten most inspirational songs ever. If music was a parking lot, I'd be using the handicapped parking spot, because my genetic makeup lacks enough music genes for genuine appreciation of the subject. As a result, I am prone to go for the lyrics(I words.) Some of it might be cheesy or country, loud or mushy, but this post is my bookmark - a personal list tied to events, people and places in my life, a mix-tape for the long journey home, whenever I need to come home.



10. John Mayer: Waiting on the world to change
Music man with his fingers on the pulse of change, reflecting on our times.




9. Eminem: Lose Yourself
This songs pops up like my guardian angel, quite unexpectedly in the darkest of the hours
.



8. Sabrina Setlur and Xavier Naidoo: Alles
I do not know German, but I used a translator because this song was so soothingly like-able, esp. Xavier Naidoo's part.





7. Metallica: Nothing Else Matters
Life is ours, we live it our way... All these words, I don't just say... And nothing else matters




6. Blake Shelton: Some Beach Somewhere
 A simple American pleasure, go to Hawaii or the Caribbean when you need sunny skies.




5.  Tom Petty: The Last DJ
Get-back-at-the-system-that-got-you-down song.





4. Tim McGraw: Live Like You Were Dying
Carpe Diem. 'nuff said.




3. UB40: Higher Ground 
Reggae effortlessly lifts you to a higher ground. There were poems in the rain, MTV and the abstract blue album cover of Promises and Lies as the backdrop of my teenage trials.




2. Vangelis: Chariots of Fire 
Only instrumental in the whole list. Even without words it soars the spirit. Wonderful movie too.

 


1. Baz Luhrmann/Mary Schmich : Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)
The ultimate advice column ever, in a good away. Mary Schmich, I like you better than your mistaken identity of Kurt Vonnegut.







0 comments:

Take me to the top of the page BEAM ME UP, SCOTTY