:::: MENU ::::

A movie and book review blog

  • Reading films, watching books,....
  • Mind candy in the dark
  • All the books left to read...

Jun 22, 2004

Jules and Jim

This sure was a strange film. I wonder why Jules and Jim was so famous? Maybe because of its revolutionary story line(the story takes place before and after WW1) or is it because of the director, the famous Francois Truffaut?

What I found from the movie is that lot of French films have a narrator who links the various scenes of the movie. This movie(1962) has it, so has Amelie and so has the Spanish Apartment. My experience is limited to the movies I have watched. Another question I have is, why is it called Jules and Jim, it should be called something like Catastrophical Catherine or something. The movie is a love triangle between Jules,Catherine and Jim. I liked one dialog in the movie, where Jims tells Catherine(played by the immortal Jeanne Moreau) which transcripts to the idea that - "lot of us have the dream of making love to the stranger we met on the train, but for the sake of our significant other and for the sake of the love between us, we rise above that dream, above that selfishness and dedicate ourselves totally to our significant other, but you Catherine cannot do that." The whole movie revolves around this handicap of Catherine, not my cup of tea.

0 comments:

Take me to the top of the page BEAM ME UP, SCOTTY